The Sterling Creamery was built in the form of an L with a stone foundation. It had beam and board construction. A long driveway ran completely around the building and down the hill, across a creek and back up to the road.
The Creamery lasted until the 1930’s, when Al DiPalama bought the property and tore it down. Today only an old well survives below the spot where the creamery once stood. The water from the pump was used to wash out the milk cans and then flushed down a long wooden trough to the nearby creek, making it flow white to the delight of the fish.
The creamery made butter, cream and cheese and although most of the farmers made their own, the quality varied from very good to downright bad. The creamery produced a nice uniform quality of butter and created a flourishing market.
In 1890, they started to take in and ship canned milk to nearby markets; but with each new adventure came new problems. The creamery had to find ways to keep the milk cool until it could be sold. This problem was eventually solved by getting ice from nearby farms with small ponds where ice could be harvested. One such farm was that of Newton Robinson where an old ice house was found.
Some of the milk was transported by horse and wagon. David R. Edwards was one such man and collected the milk for the creamery on September 5, 1887. He collected from 20 farmers and hauled the milk to the creamery daily.