21 – In 1873, when the old Gravity Railroad was still in operation, a fair-sized community grew up around Plane No. 21 of the railroad in Jefferson Township. Pennsylvania Coal Company had an office here. There was also a hotel, general store, sawmill, blacksmith, 2 schools and a shoemaker shop. The Gravity Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fellows was organized here in 1877 with 37 members. Post Office was established in 1878. When Gravity was abandoned in 1884, town fell apart.
Clarksville (Jubilee) – This once thriving community contained a general store, sash and blind factory, a home of a pioneer physician and Madisonville Christian church.
East Sterling – On Route 191, 2 miles northwest of Newfoundland this town in 1872 contained a sawmill, blacksmith shop, sawmill & gristmill, Good Templar’s Hall, Methodist Episcopal church, schoolhouse and 21 homes. By 1966, 10 homes were counted and all the rest were gone.
Harfords (Calapoose Road) – This town contained a post office, shovel factory, gristmill and sawmill.
Harveyville – A lumbering community of William L. Harvey near Clifton. Seven buildings and a mill pond were here in 1873, they were all owned by Harvey.
Hell’s Kitchen (Cooney Hollow) in Roaring Brook Township – This town disappeared in 1895 when the Elmhurst Reservoir was built by the Scranton Gas & Water Company. Curtis Reservoir, to the east, was built in 1910 by the same company. Buildings were removed and farms inundated. In 1873, Gardner Road met Drinker Turnpike (now Route 435) to the south of Fairview Cemetery.
Hollisters – A lumbering community established about 1865 by Albert G. Hollister of Hollisterville. This town was located ¼ mile northeast of Daleville.
Hollisterville – This town contained a church and gristmills.
Nay Aug Town aka Nay Aug
Pink – Located ½ miles northeast of Lake Ariel and grew up around Plane No. 17 of Old Gravity Railroad. In 1872 there were 20 buildings, including a carpenter shop, blacksmith shop, steam sawmill, engine house, homes of Greene, McFarland, L. Wheeler, P. Omellet, G. Leonard and several other buildings. By 1966 Pink was a crossroads to the north of Route 191.
Plank Road Settlements – Along the old Plank Road, now abandoned between Clifton and Gouldsboro. This has now disappeared. This once lumbering community was once in Bright, Dundon and Kalbach, 4 miles east of Clifton. Lehigh House (hotel) stood here. Two miles further east was the lumbering community of Hunterton Mills with 9 buildings.
Rockdale – Given to settlements along Spring Brook. In Spring Brook, mostly inundated by the Watres Reservoir (Old Splash Dam) and farm of William Keck.
Simonson’s Settlement – Western part of Roaring Brook Township, south of Scrub Oak Mountain fire tower. A hotel was operated near a large spring of water. Road led to Blue Shutters Road. In 1873, 6 buildings were here. Foundation of hotel can be seen near the spring.
Springbrook Valley – Foot of steep hill leading from Spring Brook Township to Glendale. Route 502 passes through here and buildings are gone. Twenty-five buildings in 1873 included Springbrook Valley School, general store, steam sawmill and sawmill. There was also the end of the Sax & Hessler narrow gauge lumber railroad into Springbrook Tannery and blacksmith was also located here.
Staplesville – Located 1 ¼ miles southwest of Daleville. Steam sawmill and clothes pin factory of Daniel Staples was located here. Company store, blacksmith and barns were also here. The schoolhouse stood on the corner, west of Doran home.
Union Mill – the Union Steam Sawmill of Yocum, Kline & Company, southwest of Moscow, near home of James Watson (later Watson school). Seven buildings were here in 1873. Nearby swamp is still known as the Union Mill Swamp. The town is gone.
Yostville – In Spring Brook Township, this town began as a lumber community of Yost, Pile & Company. A steam sawmill, storehouse, blacksmith and 9 buildings were here. In 1946, 7 buildings were here.